HannaR

Hanna's Shelf

One of my biggest passions is reading. I love to dive into the written word and become immersed into the world the writer has created.

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace - Mary Hoffman, Caroline Binch

In this story a young girl name Grace loves stories. Stories big and small, Grace loved to act out the most exciting main characters in them all.  So, when her teacher announces the class will put on a show, Peter Pan, for the school. Grace immediately knows she wants to be Peter Pan. She is told repeatedly by her classmates that she cannot be Peter though because she is a girl and black. Grace stands her ground and tries out for the part. Her mother and her Nana upon hearing what her classmates declare they know nothing and encourage her to follow her dreams. Nana goes so far to take Grace to a ballet performance for inspiration. The main dancer in the ballet is a young black girl that her grandmother personally knew from back home. Taking heart Grace tries out for Peter despite her classmates original objections and they all vote for her to be Peter Pan in the play.  I feel this book is meant for kindergarten to 6th grade. The lesson I would pair with this book is a lesson on diversity and acceptance. Everyone can relate to being singled out for one reason or another but to be singled out for gender and/or ethnic background is especially hurtful. Children should be encouraged to accept people for who they are and what they can do.

Reading Level: 4 to 8 years