HannaR

Hanna's Shelf

One of my biggest passions is reading. I love to dive into the written word and become immersed into the world the writer has created.

The Ugly Duckling

The Ugly Duckling - Jerry Pinkney, Hans Christian Andersen

The Ugly Duckling has been around for over a hundred years and has many different versions. It is a person favorite with mine and this version stays true in the timeless tale of a very awkward duckling that does not fit in with his brothers and sisters. This little bird is made fun of and has to struggle through life without a great support system to back him up. However, through the endless tormenting of his fellow ducklings, the hunters, and cruel seasons he survives. Not only does he survive but he grows up to become a graceful swan. This story in the end has a happy ending but it is the journey to get there that brings the story to life and reminds the reader that life is not always easy. Sometimes we will have to struggle and work hard for what we want. In the classroom I would use this story to focus on sequencing and working with the students to focus what happens in the story and when does it happen. This could easily be done by having the students cut out pictures or drawing pictures that represent what happens in the story in the correct order it happens.

Reading Level: Kindergarten to 3rd grade